Whether you’re getting ready to go back to the office or get your family prepared for back to school season, it’s always helpful to keep healthy snacks around to make it easier to stick to a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some tips to keep your snacks healthy and your cravings at bay:
- Focus on what your food is made of. Rather than harping on calories, it’s important to read the ingredient list and see what nutrients are in your snacks. Choose snacks that are rich in vitamins, minerals, protein, and/or healthy fats.
- Create a charcuterie of your favorite food groups. High fiber snacks like nuts and seeds pair well with protein and healthy carbohydrates.
- Whole foods will always win. Choose whole foods over processed snacks when you can. While it is easy to reach for processed foods in the grocery store, the long term benefits of whole foods outweigh the convenience.
- Be wise with portion size. It can be helpful to divide up your snacks after your grocery store visit to make it easier to ‘grab and go’ during your busy day.
- Snacks can be sweet! Have a sweet tooth? You don’t have to miss out on a midday or after dinner snack. Just be sure to pair your chocolate fix with some fruit if you can!
Our Certified Registered Dietitians are available for all of your health and dietary needs. Whether you need nutrition counseling or a personalized nutrition plan, we’re here to help.