- Eat consistently: Aim to eat every 3-5 hours to prevent a drop in blood sugar. A drop in blood sugar can lead you to feel tired or sluggish.
- Choose carbohydrates wisely: Watch out for refined carbohydrates and pick whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to limit sodas, candy, sweets, white bread, pasta and crackers. Increase whole grains that are high in fiber. The refined carbs will create a spike in blood sugars while your whole grains, fruits and vegetables will keep blood sugar more stable.
- Eat well balanced meals and snacks: By combining a healthy carb with a lean protein and healthy fat you can have better control over your blood sugar. With the improved blood sugar control, you can limit mood swings.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3s and folic acid: Low levels of omega-3s and folic acid have been associated with depression. To increase omega-3s, include fatty fish, ground flax seed, walnuts and fortified eggs in your diet. To increase folic acid, include dark leafy greens, fortified cereal, sunflower seeds and oranges.
- Stay Hydrated: Dehydration can make you feel sluggish and tired, so set a goal to drink 8 glasses of water throughout the day. Try to limit alcohol and caffeine as both can cause mood swings. Alcohol is a chemical depressant and caffeine may interrupt your sleep causing you to be more fatigued after drinking.
- Increase physical activity: Regular exercise has been found to improve mild to moderate depression in some individuals. Set a goal to try to exercise 4-5 days a week.
Back to Blog
Healthy Kung Pao Chicken & Cauliflower “Fried Rice”
3 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 Tbsp. of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. avocado oil
1 Tbsp. of fresh ginger, minced
1 - 1.5 lbs. of green beans or asparagus, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
1 Tbsp. sriracha
1 Tbsp. chili paste (or more, to taste)
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp sesame seeds
1-2 Tbsp. crushed peanuts/cashews
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
Optional: ground flax seed
1 bag of frozen cauliflower
1-2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
2 tsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl mix together the sauce ingredients (coconut aminos, siracha, chili paste, and honey).
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic to a large sauce pan or wok and heat to medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, or until partially cooked and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and ginger to a large sauce pan or wok and heat to medium-high heat. Add in green beans and sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add in the chicken and continue to cook for ~5 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Once chicken is cooked, add in stir fry sauce and reduce to medium-low heat and cook for a few minutes until slightly thickened then add sesame seeds and nuts. (Note: to increase thickness of sauce stir in 1Tbsp of ground flax seed).
- Fried Rice: Add frozen cauliflower rice to a non-stick skillet and heat for 8-10min on medium-high heat. While cauliflower is heating up mix together eggs and coconut aminos. Once cauliflower rice is warmed up add egg mixture and continue cooking until eggs are cooked through. Then add sesame seeds and Enjoy!