Healthy eating is especially important for keeping your immune system in top condition. These current safety measures and the need to stay in place present a perfect time to protect and improve your health.
Here are some steps you can take to improve your health during COVID-19:
- Limit trips to the grocery
- Meal plan and make a list before you go to the grocery store
- Plan your breakfast, lunch and dinners for the next 5-7 days. Make a grocery list and stick to it best you can (plan for possible substitutions)
- Check out The Defined Dish’s Pantry Meal Plan(http://www.thedefineddish.com/pantry-meal-plan/)
- Try Online Shopping
- It will save you time and help you socially distance. Be sure to plan ahead - many stores need a day or two from order to delivery/pickup.
- Stay safe when ordering in
- Eat food while it is hot
- Pick up meals when you are ready to eat. Don’t let them sit out on your counter.
- Hand washing
- Make sure you wash your hands after handling take out containers and before you eat your meal.
- Make healthy food choices
- Keep healthy foods around
- Whole grains, vegetables, fruits and lean proteins are building blocks to a healthy meal
- Limit buying foods that are high in empty calories
- Chips, sodas, cookies, and ice cream will cause you to stay hungry leading to grazing
- Make eating at home a positive experience
- Involve your family
- Have your kids set the table or help measure out ingredients
- Mix up your dining locations
- A picnic in the back yard or a movie night dinner in the living room
- Cook a new recipe
- Try a new cookbook to inspire a healthy dish (Current favorite: The Defined Dish)
- Create Balance
- Have planned exercise time
- Schedule walks and workouts from home just as you would schedule a meeting
- Schedule breaks in your day
- Plan for 30 min breaks to read, play a game or work a puzzle. This will help you stay productive during the day
- Set a structured sleep schedule
- Set alarms on your phone to help you wind down and wake up on time
Back to Blog